Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Walk Slowly, Live Wildly: Let the Compacting Begin

I've decided to take this up: Walk Slowly, Live Wildly: Let the Compacting Begin

Will anyone join me?

Here's the compacting pledge:

In light of the destructive effects of personal greed, we pledge to curb our purchases, cease frivolous buying, and choose to simplify our lives. Excepting only those things needed for work and the health and safety of our families, we pledge not to buy new. Further more, we will actively seek to pass on possessions we no longer want to those who are in need. In doing so, we hope to educate both friends and family about the corrosive effects of being in a constant state of want, nurture in ourselves the uplifting state of giving, thus reducing the load on the environment and creating a more sensible path for our lives. For these reasons, we join the Compact.

To start with, I am going to stick with this for a month. Baby steps :) I can already think of a couple of exceptions that I'll have to make:

1) Digital camera
2) Snow clothes for my daughter

3 Comments:

Blogger Anusha said...

hmmm...I kinda already follow this, but I must say I have been slacking - I do splurge impulsively...and oh, it is easy to accumulate junk via freecycle too!!!

I suppose I could make it a pledge - one week at a time..:)

3:30 PM  
Blogger Tharini said...

Yes...I defnitely want to join you. And I'd like to start off with my pantry and clothes closet. Baby steps as you said, a day at a time.

5:15 AM  
Blogger joy said...

i do this already for reasons u said n also to make moving easier for us... i too want a beautful n healthy world for my baby...no splurging ...just saving for her

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home