Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Spoooooooky

Last night I couldn't sleep very well, and I thought I imagined it when I heard a strange noise. It sounded like somebody was having a nightmare and moaning.

Then I heard it again. A low howl followed by two short bark like sounds. I still wondered if somebody in the house was having a bad dream. And then I heard it again. And again. And again. It sounded too much like an animal, but too little like a dog, so the next time I heard it, I prodded my husband in the shins and said "What's that?" He said, "Go back to sleep. It's just a coyote."

Just a coyote. Just a coyote! There was an almost full moon outside, and a coyote somewhere below the window. How could I go back to sleep?

We live in a very thickly populated neighborhood, but happen to be right across from an unpopulated wetland area. We've seen various wildlife crossing our street or lawn, including several turtles, small snakes, turkey, and once a deer. But none of that, including the snakes, was as unsettling as this coyote.

We've distanced ourselves from the wild so much, that the wild cry of the coyote was very disturbing. The coyote was the one that weighed not much more than my three-year-old, was rarely aggressive toward humans, was all alone among the houses of different and powerful creatures, and we were the different and "powerful" creatures who were safely inside, so I'm not sure why it gave me the chills.

After a while, the neigbors' dog started to bark back at it, and the coyote's cry moved farther away and faded.

But just in case, I prodded my husband again and said, "Are you sure the garage door's closed?"


Excerpt from wikipedia: Hearing a coyote is much more common than seeing one. The calls a coyote makes are high-pitched and variously described as howls, yips, yelps and barks. These calls may be a long rising and falling note (a howl) or a series of short notes (yips). These calls are most often heard at dusk or night, less often during the day. Although these calls are made throughout the year, they are most common during the spring mating season and in the fall when the pups leave their families to establish new territories. Many people find these calls eerie or disturbing while others find them to be quite beautiful. Additionally, the coyote's howl can be very deceiving: due to the way the sound carries, it can seem as though it is in one place, when it is really elsewhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home