Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Taking India in stride

Taking a walk in India is not a walk in the park (literally) - especially for a woman. But if you aren't just walking for exercise, or to get closer to nature, walking in India can be fun. You have to be very much more alert, but you get to see life as you walk. We don't get to see much life here in the suburban US, especially those of us for whom Winter unofficially lasts six months. Besides the occasional rabbit or robin or rattlesnake, I suppose, depending on where you live.

The problem with living in the suburbs in US is that, while you can walk all you want, there's a chance of wearing out your legs if you want to walk to the town center (except for some lucky few). You may think places seem close by while driving, but your legs will disagree if you walk to the small store nearby to get milk, or walk to the library to drop off that book that's due. And this is in crowded Massachussetts - looking at the map, you'd think that if you take a large stride you'd be in the park, and if you stretch your arm a little you can touch the post office. I wonder how things are in vast states like Texas.I like to take walks too, though I don't get the chance to, much. I think it'd be much easier to do this in India, but I'll let you know when I find out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home